The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was formally organized on April 6, 1830. Several months later, the Church held its first general conference at the Peter Whitmer home in Fayette, New York. Each April and October, members of the Church assemble in Salt Lake City, Utah, for two days of meetings called general conference.
The conference in April is called an "annual" conference and the October event is called the "semiannual" conference. On the first day of each conference (Saturday), members gather for a morning session and an afternoon session, each two hours in length. Later that evening a priesthood session is held. On the second day of conference (Sunday), members gather for a morning and afternoon session.
Each session of conference is carried live via satellite to meetinghouses throughout the world and is translated into many languages. During each session of conference, speakers (drawn from Church leadership) address topics relevant to members of the Church. Conference sermons are printed in Church magazines and are available via the Internet (General Conference).
183rd Semiannual General Conference, October 2013
"The music of conference intensifies the spirit," said Jane Fjeldsted, director of the 364-member family choir that performed in conference during the Saturday afternoon session on Oct. 5.
Mormons converge in Salt Lake City to hear Church leaders. This article contains links to the Church News coverage of conference.
183rd Semiannual General Conference photo gallery --Saturday
Releases and Callings Announced at General Conference
As Latter-day Saint women seek their Heavenly Father through fervent, sincere prayer and earnest, dedicated scripture study, their testimonies will become strong and deeply rooted, said President Thomas S. Monson Sept. 28.
Sister Linda K. Burton, Relief Society general president, asked the women of the Church on Sept. 28 to “go forth with faith, cheerful hearts, and a great desire to be covenant keepers.”
Blessings come as individuals make and keep sacred covenants with the Lord, Sister Linda S. Reeves, second counselor in the Relief Society general presidency, taught during the General Relief Society Meeting held in the Conference Center on Sept. 28.
All are invited to participate in the work of salvation, said Sister Carole M. Stephens, first counselor in the Relief Society general presidency during the General Relief Society Meeting on Sept. 28 in the Conference Center.
Summaries of Talks
- Elder David A. Bednar: 'The Windows of Heaven'
- Elder Edward Dube: 'Look Ahead and Believe'
- Elder Robert D. Hales: 'General Conference: Strengthening Faith and Testimony'
- Elder Ulisses Soares: 'Be Meek and Lowly of Heart'
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'Welcome to Conference'
- President Uchtdorf: 'Come, Join with Us'
- Sister Carole M. Stephens: 'Do We Know What We Have?'
- Elder Arnulfo Valenzuela: 'Small and Simple Things'
- Elder D. Todd Christofferson: 'The Moral Force of Women'
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Like a Broken Vessel'
- Elder M. Russell Ballard: 'Put Your Trust in the Lord'
- Elder S. Gifford Nielsen: 'Hastening the Lord's Game Plan'
- Elder Timothy J. Dyches: 'Wilt Thou Be Made Whole?'
- President Boyd K. Packer: 'The Key to Spiritual Protection'
- Bishop Gerald Causse: 'Ye Are No More Strangers'
- Elder L. Tom Perry: 'The Doctrines and Principles Contained in the Articles of Faith'
- Elder Randy D. Funk: 'Called of Him to Declare His Word'
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 'You Can Do It Now!'
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'Bind Up Their Wounds'
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'True Shepherds'
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks: 'No Other Gods'
- Elder Richard G. Scott: 'Personal Strength through the Atonement of Jesus Christ'
- Elder Richard J. Maynes: 'The Strength to Endure'
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'To My Grandchildren'
- President Thomas S. Monson: 'I Will Not Fail Thee, Nor Forsake Thee'
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Be Ye Converted'
- Brother David M. McConkie: 'Teaching with the Power and Authority of God'
- Elder Adrian Q. Ochoa: 'Look Up'
- Elder Kevin Scott Hamilton: 'Continually Holding Fast'
- Elder Neil L. Andersen: 'Power in the Priesthood'
- Elder Quentin L. Cook: 'Beware of Bondage'
- Elder Russell M. Nelson: 'Decisions for Eternity'
- Elder Terence M. Vinson: 'Drawing Closer to God'
- President Monson: 'Til We Meet Again'
- New stake presidents
- President Thomas S. Monson: ‘The real joy of Christmas’
- Sister Rosemary M. Wixom: "What Happened Next?"
- First Presidency Christmas Message, December 2013
- New youth activity website
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home early feel some failure
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history, doctrine
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the gospel in Harlem
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win' (+ video)
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to a divorce