Editor's note: How much do Church members know about disabilities? Here is a short test to check one's awareness of disabilities:
Multiple Choice1. How many members with disabilities are there in the average ward in the U.S. and Canada?
a. 5 b. 10 c. 25 d. 50
- What is the most common disability among children?
a. hearing impairments
b. visual impairments
c. learning disabilities
d. intellectual impairments
e. motor and orthopedic impairments
f. communication disorders
- Approximately how many members with disabilities do we have in the Church?
True or False
- People who are not fully accountable have no need to learn the gospel.
- A sensitive person avoids asking questions about a person's disability.
- Someone in a wheelchair may not participate in a Church-sponsored camping trip.
- It is necessary to have specialized training in order to teach someone with a disability in a Church class.
Answers to quiz on disabilities
- d. 5
- c. Learning disabilities
- d. More than 900,000
- False. All people, including those with intellectual impairments, need to understand as much as they can about following the teachings of Jesus and coping with the challenges of this life.
- False. A sensitive person asks sensitive questions rather than avoiding the subject.
- False. Some special accommodations may need to be made, but it is possible and desirable to include those in wheelchairs and those with other types of disabilities in Church activities.
- False. The most important tools are a love for the student and a desire to teach. Other resources include family members, special Church materials for the handicapped, and suggestions from the individual's school or place of employment.