PHILADELPHIA Five members of the Church were honored by the Boy Scouts of America during the 2003 National Annual Meeting May 28-30 in Philadelphia.
Presented with the 2003 Silver Buffalo Award:
- Elder F. Melvin Hammond of the Seventy and Young Men general president. Elder Hammond was noted for not only his service to the youth of the Church but also for 30 years as a professor of religion. He is a recipient of the Silver Beaver Award.
- Lyle R. Knight of Billings, Mont., is a recipient of the Silver Beaver and Silver Antelope awards for his service to Scouting and his numerous positions from the district to the national level. A business executive, he is president of the Western Region and a National Executive Board member.
- Francis R. McAllister, of New York, N.Y., is a mining industry executive and a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow. A past recipient of the Silver Beaver Award, he has served on Scouting's National Executive Board and as a region and council president.
Presented with the 2003 Silver Antelope Award:
- R. Curtis Ballantyne of West Covina, Calif., who has been on the staff for the last six National Scout Jamborees.
- John L. Cottam of Alta Loma, Calif., has served as Area IV Vice President and is Area IV President and a member of the Western Region Board.
- Leonard Andrew Woodward of Provo, Utah, has staffed two National Jamborees and served on the Council Executive Board as Chairman for Handicapped Scouting from 1971 to 1989.