NAMPA, Idaho Throughout 2006, members of the four Nampa, Idaho, stakes have been celebrating the centennial of the Church here. The centennial year began with multiple service projects throughout the community, with the theme, "Giving back to our beloved Nampa." On July 22, a Pioneer Day celebration was held with a Primary children's parade. Thousands attended the event, which included displays and booths set up by the 35 wards in Nampa.
The concluding event was held Saturday, Oct. 7, at the Idaho Center during which more than 600 performers, some of whom were not members of the Church, joined in a two-hour program of music, dance and drama, including re-enactments from the early years of the Church here. Speaking before the program was Elder Harold G. Hillam, Emeritus General Authority and president of the Boise Idaho Temple.
The first worship service of the Church in Nampa was held on Sept. 19, 1906, in a rented room at the rear of the Tuttle Warehouse adjacent the railroad tracks.