A giant crane on July 8 lifted the traditional gold-leafed statue of the Angel Moroni into place atop the spire of the Draper Utah Temple, now nearing completion.
Situated in Corner Canyon in the southeast foothills of the Salt Lake Valley, the temple is one of two under construction in the southern end of the valley (see July 19 Church News for photo of July 11 raising of Moroni statue on Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple). The new edifices will ease pressure on the Jordan River Utah Temple. Their construction indicates both burgeoning growth and temple-going faithfulness of Church members in the southern part of the valley.
President Gordon B. Hinckley broke ground for the temple on Aug. 5, 2006. A dedication date has not yet been announced.
The community of Draper was first settled in 1849 — just two years after the Pioneers entered the valley under Brigham Young's leadership — by Ebenezer Brown, a Mormon Battalion veteran. Until recent years it was mostly an agricultural city, but it has seen an explosion of largely up-scale homes and a thriving retail district.