On June 18, the Church announced that it would be revising its Hymns and Children’s Songbook in order to bring members across the world together in song.
“We recognize the power that sacred music has to unify the members of the Church throughout the world,” said Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in a previous article. “We desire to offer a consistent core collection of hymns and songs in every language that reflects the diverse needs of the global Church in our day.”
Members are invited to submit feedback and their original music to newmusic.lds.org as the new hymnbook is compiled. Following the announcement, Church News asked readers to send in their responses of what they would most like to see included in the new edition of the Hymns. More than 400 sent in their top picks. See the results below:
Top 10 favorite hymns (two of which are not currently listed in the hymnal):
- "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing": 57 votes
- "I Stand All Amazed": 21 votes
- "How Great Thou Art": 17 votes
- "Because I Have Been Given Much": 16 votes
- "Be Still, My Soul": 16 Votes
- "If You Could Hie To Kolob": 15 votes
- "How Firm a Foundation": 14 votes
- "Amazing Grace": 12 votes
- "I Know That My Redeemer Lives": 12 votes
- "Where Can I Turn for Peace": 11 votes
Additional favorite hymns not currently listed in the hymnal:
- "Be Thou My Vision"
- "Consider the Lilies"
- "Each Cooing Dove"
- "His Eye Is on the Sparrow"
- "Take Time to Be Holy"
- "Holy, Holy, Holy"
- "In the Garden"
- "I Will Be What I Believe"
- "Just As I Am"
- "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
- "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need"
- "Softly and Tenderly"
Note: multiple patriotic hymns were also mentioned in the responses, which will not be included in the print version of the new hymnal, but only in the individual language versions online.